Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Hindsight Is 20/20: So before all the new news stuff gets into google, I decided to google Mark Felt and Deep Throat to see how likely it was that this was the guy.

I think the answer is: Pretty obvious.

Not only was he the one Nixon suspected, but even Bernstein's ex-wife, Nora Ephron, admitted she thought it was him, after an (in retrospect) embarrassing incident where a student claimed he'd heard Felt was Deep Throat from Bernstein's son. The student wrote a 20 page paper detailing all the evidence Felt was the man, including the fact that in the earliest drafts of All The President's Men, the anonymous source was identified as "My Friend," M.F. being the initials of Mark Felt. There was also a meeting between Felt and Woodward around that time that suggested a deeper association between the two. As far back as 2002, Felt's family even identified him as Deep Throat on their answering machine (although the article does say it was done in jest).

In retrospect, it will probably turn out to have been harder for the media to cover up that this was the guy than it would have been to find out who he was.

I'm sure those of you who get the cable news channels have heard all this already, but I was amused at some of my discoveries and thought I'd share.

No comments: