Friday, December 12, 2003

Apartheid in CA?: Yeah, you knew it was going to happen.

A UCLA study has come out that says that California's not giving illegal aliens the right to vote, despite them being up to 40% of the population in some cities, is political apartheid, and, to quote one commentator, "We all saw how well apartheid worked." As if it meant we were trying to cut all Latinos off from the political process.

I'm sorry, but apartheid is a big trigger word for me. Horrible things happened in South Africa under apartheid, and for people who have already come to the US and gotten free medical care and other benefits to claim equal oppression--that would be like me crashing your party and complaining you didn't ask me what refreshments you should serve or what music to play, and then claiming that you intentionally left them out because you hated me.

What's up with that?

No comments: