Friday, June 03, 2005

Back In My Day: I'm not one of those folks who freaks out every time some change gets made to something I knew from when I was a kid.

Every time I'm tempted to wax poetic about the virtues of the original Star Wars movies or how cool the original Legend of Zelda was, I just imagine if my Dad had tried to convince me that those old 12" GIJoe figures he had as a kid were somehow better or more "real" than my little Zartan and Snake Eyes figures.

"Yeah, whatever, Dad," I would have thought. "You can keep your wanna-be Ken doll."

But still, a part of me still feels that the 80's was a sort of Renaissance for toys and children's programming the likes of which we have not seen since.

I watched some show with my kids the other day that seemed to be an animated version of two guys with cards playing War. You really can't convince me that's somehow better or cooler than even the girlie cartoons of the '80's. If Jem and the Holograms had ever stopped to play cards for half an episode, we'd have flipped the channel to Silverhawks.

And with this rant, I think I've officially qualified myself for fogeyhood.

No comments: