Monday, January 26, 2004

Stupid Fights of Married People: I've decided on a good litmus test for how to tell whether the fight you're having with your spouse is stupid, and this is it:

If you would laugh if you heard your neighbors were fighting about it, it's probably a stupid topic to fight about.

Let me give you a for instance.

On Saturday night, my wife needed to make a cake for church on Sunday. She set the oven to preheat, while I took the girls to bed. However, the girls were bound and determined that only Mommy could put them to sleep.

So we switched. Marci put the girls to bed, and I made the cake. The next morning she decorated it and took it to church.

"How'd they like the cake?" I asked her, afterwards.

"They all liked it. A couple people asked for the recipe," she said.

"Did you tell them I made it?"

She laughed. "No. But I told them you helped."

"But I made it."

"I made it. You helped, and I really appreciate it."

And so ensued an argument about the semantics of what constitutes having "made" a cake.

And I think, "If I heard the neighbors were arguing like this, about this, I'd laugh my head off. This is a really stupid argument. I mean, everybody knows that whoever put the ingredients in made the cake."

So can somebody email my wife and tell her she's being stupid?

No comments: