Thursday, August 19, 2004

Where Am I?: Sorry I haven't been posting more, but between work and trying to write the story that will win the Writers Of The Future grand prize, I've been busy.

I've discovered something about writing--just because you know how to do it right, doesn't mean you're going to do it right. What do I mean by that?

When I was a kid, my church basketball team had a really good coach. He was a high school coach at the time, but now he's a college coach, and he's even worked with some Olympic basketball teams (although not ours). He taught me how to play basketball, and play well. He knew his stuff.

Now here's the thing--despite that, I never actually played well. Just because I knew it intellectually didn't mean that I could get my hands and arms and legs to do all that stuff.

So that's what I've run into now with writing. The workshop I did with Dave Wolverton was phenomenal, and now I know what I'm supposed to be doing in a much more fundamental way than I ever have before. Not just about how to write, but about how to entertain.

That doesn't mean I'm getting it right yet.

But it does mean I'm moving in the right direction.

Step back!

No comments: