Monday, January 10, 2005

The Movie That Might Have Been: When I saw National Treasure on Saturday night, I couldn't help but think what a great idea for a movie it was--when I thought of it.

See, after seeing a sneak preview of Charly, the film based on the Mormon author Jack Weyland's bestselling book, I was trying to come up with an idea for a film that was inherently "Mormon," and yet would still appeal to a wide audience. Sort of like how you don't have to drive a taxicab to like Taxi.

My idea was this: An elderly woman, while doing her family history work and genealogy, stumbles across a mystery involving a tremendous amount of gold that was lost or stolen during the civil war. With the help of her bachelor son, she battles ne'er-do-wells and solves mysteries that lead her to the gold and her son to the girl of his dreams.

And now I don't know if I can make it, because everybody will say I ripped off National Treasure. And that's really not fair.

I was ripping off Indiana Jones.

No comments: