Sunday, January 30, 2005

Sunday Book Review:

When I feel overwhelmed, when I've absolutely given up hope that I'll ever be able to string two words together, when I forget why I wanted to write in the first place, this is the book I reach for.

It's not a how-to book. It's more of a why-to book, and there's times when that's a more important question.

The essays are culled from various places, but they all possess that usual Bradbury metaphor and energy. I daresay your receptiveness to this book may be the same as your usual reaction to him--if his lyrical prose fiction leaves you cold, this may not be the book for you.

But if, like me, you've ever found yourself gasping at how his metaphor can reach in and grab you by the heart, tugging as you realize it is clear, it is right, it is how the world is, you will find that same feeling here.

He will coax you down the path, lead you back to that place inside of you that must write every day, just to sustain itself, and, ultimately, to sustain you.

No comments: