Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Hobb: I'm trying to read a new author each month. Last month I did my bit on Clifford D. Simak--this month I'm trying out Robin Hobb.

Now I know what you're saying--If I haven't read the Liveship Traders series, how can I claim to be a regular SciFi/Fantasy reader? Don't I read anything?

Yes, but I tend to keep my distance from SciFi/Fantasy series. I stay the heck away from most series that require me to commit for more than one book, with very few exceptions. Consequently, I've never read Robert Jordan, R.A. Salvatore, Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, not even Terry Pratchett. I read some of the short novels in Silverberg's Legends and New Horizons series, but haven't read any books by any of these folks.

So, when I decided to dabble in one this month, I went with Robin Hobb's Ship of Magic. I've not heard a single thing bad about the series from anybody, so despite my slight dislike for nautical fiction, I've gone ahead and picked it up.

I did read The Gypsy, her collaboration with Steven Brust under her real name, Megan Lindholm, and found it a mixed bag. I enjoyed having read it, but I didn't really enjoy reading it, if that makes any sense.

Anyways, review to come, eventually.

No comments: