Thursday, May 26, 2005

I'm It: Sandefur (as he is wont to be called) also "Tagged" me on his way out. So here goes:

1. Total Number of Books I've Owned: Not sure. Probably a 4 digit number. Definitely a 4 digit number if you count my wife's books.

2. Last Book I Bought: If you want to be literal, the last book I bought was Shadow Of The Hegemon by Orson Scott Card. I found it at the dollar store and couldn't resist buying it even though I had a copy, since I knew I could find it a good home eventually.

The last time I bought books for myself, I got three: The Game Of Work by Charles A Coonradt, Entrepreneurs: The Men and Women Behind Famous Brand Names and How They Made It by Joseph and Suzy Fucini, and The Art Of Playing Real Life Monopoly by Duncan Lindsey, to replace the one I've been "borrowing" from my Dad since my second daughter was born. I got them off the discount rack for a buck apiece.

3. Last Book I Read: Dang it! You caught me on one I'm not excited about. I read Middle Of Nowhere by Ridley Pearson while I was waiting in line for the midnight showing of Revenge Of The Sith. Don't get me wrong--I really enjoyed reading it. It was a page turner and all that. But after I finished, I didn't feel like it had done anything for me.

On the other hand, Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb, which I've been reading at the hotel, is fantastic. I'll blog more about that one in my coming "Author of the month" post.

4. Five Books That Mean A lot to Me: (Insert usual disclaimer about how this isn't in order, isn't complete, blah blah blah)

1. Prentice Alvin by Orson Scott Card (Of course, there's also Ender's Game, but that's what everybody expected me to say).

2. Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. No other has the mastery of metaphor that Bradbury has. It is impossible to exaggerate this man's talent, and this is him at his sentimental best.

3. Mr. Mysterious & Company by Sid Fleischman. Fleishchman and Roald Dahl were the two who taught me there were interesting worlds to read about outside of comic books.

4. And as long as we get sentimental--the book that taught me how much fun reading could be: The Monster At The End Of This Book by Jon Stone. Needs no explanation.

5. The Scriptures. I know I don't usually get religious on this blog, but no set of books has as much influence on who I am as these.

5. Tag five people and have them do this on their blog: If I were to do this part, I would only discover five people I think read my blog who really don't.

Tell you what--if you do it, email me and I'll link to you.

1 comment:

Scott H. said...

hey I stumbled on this cause of the Bradbury search link, I did one and here's the link...
http://mrscotthend.blogspot.com/2008/12/book-tag.html